Robert L. Park, Ph.D., professor of physics at the University of Maryland at College Park identified seven warning signs of Bogus Science, indicating that "a scientific claim lies well outside the bounds of rational scientific discourse":
1. The discoverer
pitches the claim directly to the media.
2. The discoverer says that a powerful establishment is trying to suppress his or her work.
3. The scientific effect involved is always at the very limit of detection.
4. Evidence for a discovery is anecdotal.
5. The discoverer says a belief is credible because it has endured for centuries.
6. The discoverer has worked in isolation.
7. The discoverer must propose new laws of nature to explain an observation.