INHABITANTS OF MONTESACRO
Since Montesacro has existed only since the 1910s, we cannot speak of illustrious inhabitants before that era, but we know that some illustrious ancient Romans had their rustic villas in the countryside area that revolved around the road via Nomentana (formerly called via Ficulensis) or on the Via Salaria. Among others Seneca lived in the Ager Nomentanum, the countryside around Nomentum and the scholar Pomponius Atticus lived in the Ager Ficulensis.
As for the twentieth century onwards, here is a largely incomplete list of renowned residents:
- Palmiro Togliatti (1893-1964),
Secretary General of the Italian Communist Party, lived in via
dell'Assietta (5, largo Arbe) until his death.
- Pietro Secchia (1903-1973) senior figure of the Italian Communist Party.
- Attalo (Gioacchino Colizzi) (1894-1986) cartoonist, lived for a long time in via Gran Sasso.
- Peppino De Filippo (1903-1980) actor and playwright, lived in 761, via Nomentana, where a plaque was affixed.
- Ennio Flaiano (1910-1972) author and screenwriter, lived in via Montecristo, 4, where a plaque was affixed.
- Giorgio Bassani (1916-2000) author, lived for a long time in 16, via Gran Sasso.
- Corrado (Corrado Mantoni) (1924-1999) TV anchorman and author, lived for a long time in viale Jonio.
- Luis Bacalov (1933-2017) composer, mainly of soundtracks.
- Luigi "Giggi" Proietti (1940-2020) actor, singer, director, grew up in the Tufello district, where four murals have been dedicated to him: in via Tonale, via Capraia, piazza degli Euganei and viale Jonio.
- Riccardo Cocciante (1946) singer-songwriter and composer, lived in the neighborhood of via Val d'Ossola.
- Claudio Baglioni (1951) singer-songwriter, he lived at the Nuovo Salario and made his debut in the Espero cinema theater, in 11-19, via Nomentana Nuova.
- Rino Gaetano (1950-1981) singer-songwriter, lived from 1970 to 1981 in a building in 53, via Nomentana Nuova, where a plaque was affixed in 2011. In June 2020 in via Maiella, a few meters from his home, a talking portrait of Rino appeared in découpage.
Many other famous people lived or currently live in Montesacro, as Sabina Guzzanti, Corrado Guzzanti, Paolo Bonacelli.
DEMIRGIAN Francesca (2020) Gigi Proietti, i murales invadono Roma: la mappa per vederli tutti. RomaToday, 10 novembre 2020. link
FELTRINELLI Carlo (1999) Senior Service. Feltrinelli, Milano.
LEONE Laura (2011) Qui è vissuto Rino Gaetano, apposta una targa sulla casa di Montesacro dellindimenticabile cantautore ... La Voce del Nord Est romano, 8 giugno 2011. link
IN THE MOVIES:
- Ladri di biciclette (Bicycle Thieves), directed by Vittorio De Sica 1948 palazzo at the corner of via Gran Paradiso and via Scarpanto (plaque on the spot). YouTube
- I soliti ignoti (Persons Unknown), directed by Mario Monicelli, 1958. Vittorio Gassmann courts Carla Gravina on via Nomentana viaduct (over viale Etiopia) YouTube
- Taxisti di notte (Night on Earth), directed by Jim Jarmusch, 1991 (vignette "Rome"). Roberto Benigni, Roman cabdriver, drives around the city at night with a bishop (Paolo Bonacelli), passing among other places through piazza Sempione and via Subasio. YouTube